Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tests are back!

Looks like I need to be keeping up with this blog a little more as almost a year has passed.
Once again Seri was tested using the Stanford Achievement Test Series, ninth edition. We also decided to have Michael tested as well. He was assessed the first year and then last year I never did get around to getting him an assesment appt. so we went illegal and didn't fulfill requirements. Figured this year it was safer to just have him tested at the same time and not rely on me finding him an alternate situation... I was a tad nervous about him testing as he has never been a really great tester. he puts too much stress on himself and freaks out if he doesn't know the answers to some of the questions which then throws him into a tail spin for the rest of the test. He totally surprised me though and did great! He had a good time and was all smiles each day when I picked him up.
So now onto the part I know you are all waiting for..... the scores. I will post each year for Seri so that you can see the progress. She just finished the 8th grade.
2008 2009 2010
Total Reading - PHS (post highschool) 11.3 PHS
Vocabulary- 12.8 7.5 PHS
Reading Comp.- PHS PHS PHS
Total Mathmatics- PHS PHS PHS
Problem solving- PHS PHS PHS
Procedures- 10.2 12.8 PHS
Language- 6.3 8.1 PHS
Lang Mechanics- 7.4 6.6 8.4
Lang expression- 5.3 10.2 PHS
Spelling- 4.7 6.9 7.1
Study skills- 10.3 PHS PHS
Science- 12.8 PHS PHS
Social Science- 9.4 PHS PHS
Listening- 8.0 PHS 10.8
Using Information- PHS PHS PHS
Thinking skills- 10.4 PHS PHS
Complete Battery- 10.3 PHS PHS


When I told her that her listening score went down this year she replied "of course it did, this year I am a teenager".

Michael tested at the fifth grade level, but in retrospect I should have tested him at the fourth grade. Technically the PS system would have placed him as a fifth grader this past year, but being the fact that he is a male and has a summer birthday I would probably have placed him a year behind.

Total Reading- 5.1
vocabulary- 5.0
Reading comp.- 5.1
Total Mathmatics- 4.8
Problem solving- 5.2
Procedures- 4.6
Language- 3.9
Lang mechanics 4.5
Lang Expression 3.4
Spelling 3.9
Study skills 3.9
Science 9.0
social Science 5.4
Listening 10.0
Using Information 5.6
Listening Skills 5.0
Basic Battery 4.8
Complete Battery 5.1

So, Overall the boy is right on target. Exactly where he should be... The science score surprised me a bit. Not sure where that came from. His mind however is much more Science/ logic minded than it is reading/history...

Once again I am proud of my children. I understand that there are a ton of factors regarding the testing that bring about the results they do, however it just shows that children are natural learners and do not need to have info shoved at them for all of their childhood years. I do not teach to the test and actually have never even seen the test nor have any clue as to what may be on them. The interesting thing is that the children are compared with every other child of that grade taking the test, the majority of which are PS kids who have been taught to the test, and my children are still testing in the mid- high percentages. I could go on, as those who have ever listened to my "soap box" speech could attest to, but I wont. The test results speak for themselves...

3 comments:

gojirama said...

That's awesome! We do the Stanfords do and I have always been pleased. I don't talk openly about the kid's test scores because we don't want them to know how they score ( disparities that would result in cruelty) but I'll tell you next time we meet up ;)

Brad said...

Congratulations on the wonderful test scores. To Christ be the glory.

Brad

Roeckers said...

Awesome!!

You wonder where that boy got his science grade from?! Your kids are the ones that were always experimenting with things. They got Liza hooked on experiments.