Monday, July 27, 2009

Seri's results are in!!!

Last year I reported on her SAT scores for all those who are either interested or who do not believe that homeschooling my children was the best decision for their education.
We just received this years, so let the dreum roll begin...........
P.s. The scores are reflected as grade level achieved, 7.5 means she tested in the middle of the seventh grade year. Last years scores will be posted in the first column this years in the second. She just completed 8th grade.

2008 / 2009
Total Reading - PHS (post highschool) / 11.3
Vocabulary- 12.8 / 7.5
Reading Comp.- PHS / PHS
Total Mathmatics- PHS / PHS
Problem solving- PHS / PHS
Procedures- 10.2 / 12.8
Language- 6.3 / 8.1
Lang Mechanics- 7.4 / 6.6
Lang expression- 5.3 / 10.2
Spelling- 4.7 / 6.9
Study skills- 10.3 / PHS
Science- 12.8 / PHS
Social Science- 9.4 / PHS
Listening- 8.0 / PHS
Using Information- PHS / PHS
Thinking skills- 10.4 / PHS
Complete Battery- 10.3 / PHS

Once again I amazed at the process and will probably repeat much of what I said last year.
I have a curriculum for Math and that is the only subject I "teach" in a way that would be recognizable for anyone. I do not have a curriculum for or "teach" in a traditional way, science, reading, writing, or any other subject. I do not instill time lines on my children such as, "you must be reading by this age", or "writing a good paper by this age". Many would say we follow more of an un-schooling approach. Our day consists of Scripture study, prayer, chores, Math, and being together. Yet somehow in the middle of my not teaching them Seri seemed to learn the things that society has deemed neccesary for her to know in order to be a functioning member of society. And I will have you know that I, unlike some teaching institutions (actually more like the great majority of teaching institutions) do not teach to the test. I have no idea what is even on the test...
I will also remind you that I recieve no funding, so the whole idea that if schools had more money they would be able to teach your child better is a crock of.....

All that being said I am extremely proud of her and of myself and my husband. It is very reassuring for me to see in black and white what I know and am learning to be true. It is comforting to have my work validated in a way that is accepted by everyone.

Aside from what the tests do show, there is more to the story that they do not show. They do not show how much of a hard worker she is and how she seldom complains when serving others. She does not sherk from duty when many teenage girls do.
She communicates effectively with people of all ages and is respectful to all.
She can often be found reading her scriptures of her own free will and not because she has to or someone has asked her to.
She is loyal and honest, respectful and sympathetic, trustworthy and full on integrity.
This is really why we keep our children home, to teach them full time that which the schools could never and would refuse to teach even if they could.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you guys! This is awesome! Very inspiring!

gojirama said...

That is great! I also believe one thing homeschoooling chows is that you don't need more money to achieve academic excellence.